Top 5 Easy-To-Do Breakfast Recipes for Canoe/Kayak Trips
When we are canoe and kayak camping we try to keep things simple, yet tasty. That’s the trick. These are the best tried and true recipes we have found to get you out of camp and back on the water.
We hope you find your new favorite on this list. Enjoy!
- Oatmeal Gets Creative – The old stand-by gets a make-over! Start your trip by shopping in your grocery store’s bulk section. Pick up quick oats to start as your base. Then to each individual portion (in a small Ziploc baggie) add a tablespoon combination of any of the following: flax seeds, chia seeds, brown sugar, cocoa powder, dried fruit, chopped nuts, cinnamon, craisins, raisins, coconut, chocolate chips to create your own winning combination.
- Breakfast Burrito – Freeze Dried Chili Mix & Whole Wheat Tortillas. Prepare chili according to package directions. When fully cooked add to tortilla and roll up. TIP - (Make sure to save leftover salsa packets to add to the burrito) (You can also add freeze dried eggs cooked)
- Granola – Again, this is a make-your own and get creative recipe. In your grocery store’s bulk section pick up some rolled oats, wheat, or spelt and follow the recipe below at chowhound.com. http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-granola-30062 This recipe works well so make sure you make it your own by adding your favorite flavor combinations.
- Bannock/Fry Bread – Bannock is about as traditional as it comes which makes it a must try for your next canoeing or kayaking adventure. Here is a basic recipe you can add your choice of seasoning too. 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, ¾ cup of water. Measure flour, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir to mix. Pour melted butter and water over flour mixture. Stir with fork to make a ball. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface, and knead gently about 10 times. Pat into a flat circle 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Cook in a greased frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 10 minutes for each side.
- Milk and Cereal – Your childhood revisited. Bring along your favorite childhood cereal, one you haven’t indulged in in years (the one your Mom would let you buy only on special occasions) and add powdered milk. Instant childhood (minus the Saturday morning cartoons).